Thursday, June 27, 2013

My moments with MJ

Like so many of you, Michael Jackson was the 1st influence & the one that made me believe I could live music. Here are some moments in my life that instantly popped into my head when the news came of his passing. Rest in Peace dude!

- Sitting with my sis in front of the giant speakers my dad had waiting for Alex Jay to play MJ's new single Scream for the 1st time on SA radio. My parents let us bunk school that day so we could hear it!

- Every Sunday morning when I was about 12 yrs old, I would go to the single seater couch in my parents lounge & sit with giant headphones on, my eyes closed & listen to the dangerous album from beginning to end. 

- Attempting to teach my music students Thriller for harmony class. Year after year it would go smoothly up until the "killer, chiller, thriller, here tonight...!" part and then it was curtains. Dont think any group ever got it right!

- Being inspired by Man In The Mirror to write my 1st pop song entitled Life In A Mirror.

- Playing Earth Song for my mom one day after school, when it got to the "what about us" part, I just remember looking back to her at the end of the song & she was in tears!

- playing Just Good Friends featuring Stevie Wonder from the Bad album on my dad's record player so many times it wouldn't play anymore. In fact, it was doomed from the bridge where it says "see the signs", it would just repeat "see the signs, see the signs see the signs..." LOL

- Going to the MJ concert in JHB. I gotta be honest I was disappointed he mimed most of the songs but as a show it was spectacular!

- Tearing up my sisters Bad tour book to stick the pictures on my wall without asking her. You can just imagine the trouble I got into for that! I still dont think my sister has forgiven me for that one! 

- Going with my dad to some record store in some alley way in JHB town because we had found out they had copies of the new MJ album Bad album. It hadn't been released in SA yet & we couldn't wait!

- Going to some camp when I was in standard 5 (grade 7), it was raining & we all had to stay in this big cold hall. They asked if anyone had some music they could play. I had brought my Dangerous CD. I remember them blasting Jam on their system & thinking I was Mr Cool cuz they were playing my music!!

No comments:

Post a Comment