Thursday, June 27, 2013

A Nation That Has Forgotten How To Enjoy New Music

I know many reading this will wonder what on earth I mean. In short, I think most people enjoy a song simply because it is something they recognize as apposed to something they actually enjoy.

In our World filled with so much media we have not had much choice in the matter. After hearing the same songs on constant rotation it is hard to assess whether you like something simply because in your heart of hearts you actually like it or because its been drummed in your head so much, the recognition outweighs the personal opinion. 

I am in an interesting position. As an artist, I appeal to a largely mixed audience, often times performing to the black masses. I also, from working with artists as a producer & recently playing piano on occasion with Louise Carver have seen the other side of the spectrum. 1) Obviously people love the popular songs, that’s natural. 2) People completely blank out when something they don’t know is playing. Not for a second is there a glimmer of hope for the song they don’t recognize. Its that that concerns me the most. 

I think part of the reason we are seeing “The Death of the Album” is due to this mentality. I think sometimes I am in the same position. Yes, a hit can have a catchy melody or words that just stick in your head but I certainly think we are hearing non-hits that take a while & many plays on radio until we supposedly like it. I love the feeling of buying a new album & finding songs that would never play on radio that touch me. Just recently, I got into the band Coldplay. I’m a Neo-Soulja but I needed some new inspiration & as I listened through their albums I found gems that were certainly not the big radio hits like “Clocks” or “Viva La Vida” but lesser known songs like “Warning Sign” & “Death & all His Friends”. 

It’s a great question to ask yourself because you wouldn’t really know if you had been brainwashed. So, next time you’re watching a music vid on TV or listening to the radio, think about about it…do you really enjoy what’s being served to you or would you like another look at the menu???

1 comment:

  1. You hitting the nail on the head. It has a lot to do with club DJs doubling up as music compilers or club DJs having their own slots on radio stations. So they regurgitate the same stuff all the time at the expense of catchy, yet meaningful, new tracks.

    ReplyDelete